I'm using a Samsung Galaxy Note with Ice Cream Sandwich. Rdio is draining my battery really fast (less than 2 hours with only a Rdio process) and the back of my phone become very hot.
So i used CPU Spy on it (and i made a fresh restart of my phone). When Rdio is running, it is using the whole of my CPU (1400mhz). When i shut it rdio down, my phone come back in deep sleep mode. I order of comparison, when i use the samsung music player with my own music, it only use 200mhz of my CPU.
Is it a bug or does Rdio really use that much ressources to play music ?
Thanks for your help
Thanks for writing in. Did you see this behavior in online mode, offline mode, or both? And is this consistent behavior for the app ever time you use it?
CPU usage like you're reporting is not expected behavior. Typically, a CPU spike is expected between track transitions (especially in offline mode), but the CPU activity shouldn't remain high throughout playback.
Do you see CPU usage at this rate immediately when you start the app and begin playback? If you could provide a few more details, it'd help us out with the investigation.
I made some tests which may help you :
- When i launch rdio just browsing my collection it uses CPU under 200mhz 89% of the time and it uses the max frequency (1400 mhz) only 2% of the time
- When i launch music the statistics are the same, nothing seems to go wrong at the beginning
- after 5 minutes playing music nothing seems to go wrong the cpu is 83% of the time under 200mhz
- after 15 minutes nothing goes wrong ....
So i tried to simulate my use of the phone : at my office, i my car or a train, with an edge or a weak 3G connection and no wifi.
So i switched the wifi off and i isolated my phone in a corner of my place where there is a bad reception.
Immediatly the CPU run at 1400mhz. Anyway If i reactivate the wifi the CPU don't go slower and still run at 1400mhz for nothing.
I tried two more time and Rdio become crazy when my phone is isolated with no wifi or 3G connection,
So i restart the Rdio process, switched off auto sync in the parameters and isolate my phone again. The problem is still here and my CPU is running at 1400MHZ.
So I tried to use Rdio offline and this time my CPU don't go crazy when i isolate my phone.
I hope it could help you to perfect your app;
Thanks for following up with that information. When you were playing tracks with Wifi off, and with low 3G reception in online mode, were you streaming, or playing synced tracks?
If you are playing synced music in online mode with low reception, and you're seeing high CPU usage, we'd definitely like to investigate further, especially if you see the CPU usage go down if you switch the app into offline mode under the same circumstances.
Let me know if you were streaming, or playing locally when you saw the high usage with low connectivity, and I'll investigate further.
I'm only playing synced music (i didn't test with streaming).
Tell me if you need more information.
Thanks for clarifying. We'd like to see some logs of the behavior so we can investigate further. If you could, please reproduce the issue with high CPU usage while playing synced tracks in online mode, and send us a log report from the settings menu of the app so we can get a better understanding of what's going on.
For the meantime while we investigate this, I'd suggest listening to synced music in offline mode when you're in low reception areas to avoid high CPU usage and battery drainage.
Let me know once you've sent the log in, and I'll alert the rest of the team.
I have a Samsung Galaxy II running ICS.
I can confirm I have experienced exactly the same battery drain issues as Fabien - listening to synced music with a poor 3G reception.. High CPU usage noted using CPU Spy. During the day I am often in bad signal areas so switching offline mode on and off is a pain.
Despite how much I like the Rdio service this happened to me several times in the first week of using the app (trial period). In one instance my phone was drained completely and would not recharge until it had cooled down. This was at the start of August. As I could not resolve or find any information relating to the problem I uninstalled the app, which automatically fixed the issue.
I you can resolve it I will happily join Rdio.
Thanks for writing in. We're collecting information from various sources on this issue, and are still working on optimizing Rdio's resource consumption going forward. Keep an eye our for news and updates.